- away-from-home travel expenses while performing services for a charity, including out-of-pocket round-trip travel cost, taxi fares, and other costs of transportation between the airport or station and hotel, plus lodging and meals at 100 percent. These expenses are only deductible if there is no significant element of personal pleasure associated with the travel, or if your services for a charity do not involve lobbying activities;
- the cost of entertaining others on behalf of a charity, such as wining and dining a potential large contributor (but the cost of your own entertainment or meal is not deductible);
- if you use your car while performing services for a charitable organization, you may deduct your actual unreimbursed expenses directly attributable to the services, such as gas and oil costs, or you may deduct a flat 14 cents per mile for the charitable use of your car. You may also deduct parking fees and tolls; and
- you can deduct the cost of the uniform you wear when doing volunteer work for the charity, as long as the uniform has no general utility. The cost of cleaning the uniform can also be deducted.
No charitable deduction is allowed unless the contribution is substantiated with a written acknowledgment from the charitable organization. To verify your contribution:
- get written documentation from the charity about the nature of your volunteering activity and the need for related expenses to be paid. For example, if you travel out of town as a volunteer, request a letter from the charity explaining why your presence is needed at the out-of-town location;
- you should submit a statement of expenses if you are out-of-pocket for substantial amounts, preferably a copy of the receipts to the charity and arrange for the charity to acknowledge in writing the amount of the contribution; and
- maintain detailed records of your out-of-pocket expenses—receipts plus a written record of the time, place, amount, and charitable purpose of the expense.
Please call our office if you have questions related to your charitable volunteering expenses.